I was born in Salisbury NC and lived there until I was 5. I share this distinction with Elizabeth Dole, who grew up there. Salisbury is a small but growing city in North Carolina. Salisbury is the county seat of Rowan County and both city and county are old. Rowan County , prior to the revolution was enormous in size. My ancestral roots lie in the area from Salisbury SE to Rockwell down to Gold Hill and Charlotte and SW to Kings Mountain. My ancestors, like many of the area, are Scotch Irish, English and German.
Salisbury lies mid state from north to south and on the interstate 85 corridor that is experiencing the greatest growth. Salisbury is considered by many to be a suburb of Charlotte, although it is about the same distance from Greensboro and the Triad. Salisbury also has a train station and lies on the Amtrak rail lines that run from Charlotte north.
Because of the cities age and location, Salisbury has many historic and scenic points of interest:
- Daniel Boone lived in the area before moving to kentuck and there is a cave nearby that supposedly he visited.
- A confederate prison was located near downtown.
- Many incredible old houses and buildings in and around town http://www.salisburync.gov/heritage_tour.html
- Rowan Public Library contains historical and geneological records.
- NC Transportation Museum in nearby Spencer has a roundhouse, old trains, a restoration shop and old cars and trucks. You can even ride an old train and also take Amtrak to Salisbury and then take a trolley or bus to the museum.